Monday, April 16, 2007

Tornados, Tokes & Tickles

This weekend was crazy, it went from crazy bad, to crazy awesome!

Friday:

Big storms talked about all week long by our meteorologists here in the North Texas area. I decided to leave at 5:30pm on Friday, as the storms were nearing and supposed to have hail, high winds and possible tornado's. Wanted to get home, get my car under the carport and get Georgie inside. Glad I went home....

I got home about 6:15 and got the car situated in the back under the carport, got the dog inside and settled down to watch the TV to see what was up. Well, about 7:15, when my favorite weather guy is telling me that a possible tornado "hook" is about 2 miles from my house, and my TV goes black. I stand at my huge 9' x 6' picture window and notice that it's eerily still, that the 50 MPH winds have died and it's silent (this is a sure sign that a tornado is about to destroy your home, hence "calm before the storm").

I freak, I grab the dog, grab the Crackberry and run into my bathroom and sit in the tub. Shakily, I find my Dad's number and call him, crying like a little bitch, freaking the fuck out! My Dad would usually be laughing at me, asking why I was "being a baby" but he could hear the true fear in my voice and didn't give me crap. Which was a really pleasant change for once. Luckily these storms were moving at like 40MPH, so it was over in a matter of minutes. However, it took my Dad several more minutes to convince me that I could actually get out of the tub. I was still crying like a little bitch.

So a few minutes later the TV comes back on, and within minutes, I'm seeing footage of houses with roofs partially ripped off only 3 blocks from my house! So yeah, I might have been crying like a little bitch, but apparently I had good reason to! I am just grateful that me and the dog are alive and safe.

So Saturday I got up and got ready to head up to Denton for Fry Street Fair. I arrived in Denton around noon and of course the party started pretty much immediately. This event is put on by The Delta Lodge, a frat in Denton. Now, those of you who know me, know that I think the whole frat/sorority thing is a bunch of crap, but trust me, the Delta Lodge is not your typical frat. They are quite the crazy bunch, bunch of hippy pot smokin fools, so as you can see, I fit into that crowd just fine! hahaha

Well, because we are with Delta Lodge people, we get the special purple armband hook up and get to drink free beer all day! Yay! We didn't get out there until about 2:30pm, as it was really fucking cold and windy on Saturday. My friend's band was playing at 6pm, and surprisingly, most of the people I was with have never seen Joint Method, but read up on them, and everyone wanted to see them! So as soon as Joint Method played we were OUT OF THERE, time to get inside and rewarm our bodies!

We headed back over to Felicia's house and hung out for a while. A bar in Denton called Dan's Silverleaf has a customer appreciation night once a year and does a free crawfish boil, since we were all about the free, we decided to head up there around 8, to chow down on some crawfish, potatoes, corn and sausage.

Well, I had been chatting with "the new boy" most of the week, trying to convince him to come out on Saturday, even though I knew he had an important paper to write. I was victorious! He met up with us at the bar. Luckily, I somehow managed to not be completely wasted, not sure how, since it all started at noon, but I was buzzed, don't get me wrong!

So initial reaction was great, he looked like his pictures (actually better to be honest with you) and I was pleased as punch! He didn't seem uncomfortable with the situation and we seemed to hit it off almost immediately.

Well, the group was ready to go back to Felicia's house and drink beer and smoke over there, I had driven. Luckily, lots of cars, as I thought it would be good for me and "the new boy" to hang back and have some private conversation and then head to her house a little while later. That didn't work out so well, as Denton is a small town and a bunch of people he knew as well showed up and chatted us up. It was actually ok though, very comfortable and easy.

He ended up coming back to Felicia's house. We got back to her house around 11:30 or so (I think). We spent some alone-time in her backyard. He serenaded me some Tenacious D, which if you know who they are, you might think is odd, but not I, I loved it! He is a music theorist, so is also very musically inclined. Felicia's soon to be ex actually is a colleague of his (but we don't hold it against him, it's not his fault) so there is a piano and an electric organ at Felicia's. "The new boy" began playing. That was it for me, smitten I was. Don't know what it is about musicians, but big, big turn-on in my book! Love me some musically inclined men!

Yes, for those of you who are dying right about now, I got a little make-out session started! I think I pretty much told him that I was about to jump him, god I am so subtle! It was very, very nice and I am very, very happy about it. That is all I'm telling you! No, I did not give it up, for those of you who are wondering! Not that I really care if you think I did, but I didn't!

(this is all approved for viewing per "the new boy" I gave him the blog site, so he knows what's up, hopefully I won't scare him away! hahaha)

We are meeting tomorrow night for dinner. I'm excited to see him again.

Sunday was a crazy day, I finally got home and settled about 6pm. I am watching Felicia's dog for two weeks until she moves back to Denton, so she doesn't have to take him from Austin to Denton 50 times. Georgie is loving it, not so sure about Sergio though. He's a pug/dachshund mix, he's adorable!

So even though Friday was probably the most terrified I have ever been in my life, Saturday and Sunday most definitely cancelled that out! Life is just dandy!

3 comments:

House of Suz said...

Man, I remember those storms. Too bad you all don't have basements like we do up here!

Shawna said...

I was laughing on the way home that night, because they were blasting a report that said that everyone needed to get into basements....it was from the National Weather Service, guess they don't update according to state, as I don't think anywhere in TX has basements. Dumbasses...

House of Dave said...

I was always a little nervous about tornadoes myself. I panicked in the middle of Mississippi that time, readers of my blog may recall. If I'd had a bathtub I'd have been in it.

Of course now I only have to worry about typhoons. And mudslides. And earthquakes. And tsunamis.