Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Amazing Blanket

So as I was leaving work today, and in the breakroom putting on my tennis shoes to head off to another fun filled evening at the gym when a co-worker asked if I could wait a second, she needed to go get something, and that it wasn't work related. I said ok, and sat down, wondering what in the world she was doing. She came back with a present, a lovely wrapped present, and inside was the beautiful HANDMADE throw she had made for me. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but if you know anything about quilt making, it's a long process. I could care less! This thing is beautiful! I could not believe that she would take the time to do this for me. I'm honestly not that close to her. We've celebrated a few b-days together, but she by no means is a drinking buddy or anything.
She had asked me a few months back if my color scheme was still red, and if I still enjoyed the color. I thought it odd, but honestly didn't think much of it. She had been to my house briefly about a year ago to pick up a work key, so that she could work over the weekend. As you can see, I love red so much, my furniture is red!
It's hard to tell from the pic, but she managed to almost match perfectly to my couch/chair/ottoman, amazing.
I gotta say, this throw is really beautiful, I couldn't even begin to imagine the amount of time this thing took. The pattern on this thing is very intricate.
Very easily stated, I was shocked, and totally blown away by such a wonderful gesture. I'm taking suggestions on how I can repay her, her birthday is in the spring, March, so it's coming up, I want to do something nice for her, so let's open up the comments! No, I am not going to take up some crafty thing and make her something, I'm not very talented and way too impatient in that arena. Hell, I don't think I could even sew a button on something if I needed to. My Dad always did that stuff for me growing up!
I'm just looking for something different. She is an avid reader, obviously likes sewing and is into the whole renaissance thing. So something in those areas, but not just a gift card or something lame like that, something special and thought out, as she obviously thought this one out for me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if she is a big quilter you could get her a gift cert to a quilt store, or a subscription to a quilting mag. if she sews her own clothes for the ren fairs, then you can get her fabric, (velvet, silk, etc, or once again gift cert). Or, a massage is always a treat. Usually people who are crafty appreciate homemade items more than bought items, but who wouldn't like a massage? Or look on ebay and get her something that would go with her medieval identity.

House of Suz said...

Last year my roommate told me my friend Michelle had gotten me something special for Xmas (I later found out it was an autographed CD of Rufus Wainwright's---SCORE!) so I better get her something nice. I asked him what and he said an event gift. So I got her and I a cooking lesson where we got to drink, watch the chef and then got to eat what she made. That's my two cents worth---event gifts are memorable.