Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Alcohol Free January


Well, here it is folks, I've finally decided to become a blogger. Been thinking about it for a while, and decided it was time. I've quite enjoyed The House of Dave, as most of you probably have as well, and felt it was time to share my life, thoughts and rants about random things that happen in day to day life. Sometimes it might be funny, sometimes it might be sad, you never know with me, now do you?
I'm starting off the New Year with no alcohol. Thought I'd try no booze for 31 days and see if its really all it's cracked up to be. Don't fret my friends, this is not a path that is leading me to AA or anything like that. I once went to AA when I was 20, thinking I was an alcoholic, because my father, his father, one of my sisters, and numerous other relatives of mine have declared their over indulgence of the alcoholic (or drug) kind and I thought, "well, I'm sure to be one too!" Well, I was wrong. An old man said to me in a meeting I was attending, "Honey, I've spilled more booze than you've drank!" I realized then and there, that he was probably right, and I think I headed to the nearest bar to celebrate! Is that some foreshadowing you ask? Maybe, maybe not.

I'll admit, I have a tendency to over indulge in every aspect of my life, I have a highly addictive personality. I've done it all, booze, drugs, food, smoking, work, you name it, if I've tried it, I've gone overboard. It's just who I am. Like it or leave it. Most people leave it unfortunately, but at least I know who my true friends in life are.
I have a feeling my weekends will be filled with blog rants this month of how stupid I was to decide that not drinking for 31 days was a good idea. I'm hoping to get some things accomplished that my drinking weekends tend to get pushed aside due to the collosal hangovers I get. Why I drink, as shitty as I feel the next day, this still remains a mystery.

I have a feeling most people in my life do not believe this is something I can accomplish. I certainly hope to prove them all wrong.
I can only see what happens and try my hardest to accomplish this minimal feat. If I can pull it off, then certain people (and they know who they are) need to give me a little slack and realize I drink because I like to have fun, not because I have to drink.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alcohol can neither be created nor destroyed... it merely changes forms - to keep things in balance I'll have a beer (or two) for you.

Enjoy the new year!

Anonymous said...

I guess I will leave a comment since you don't have any yet and since I am "certain people". For the record, I don't think that you drink because you HAVE to drink. I know you like to have a good time, but I am the one who hears about how bad you feel the night after your good time. And, you have alot of good times. So, I just worry about you driving whilst having a good time, Or making hasty "Good Times" decisions that you regret later. But, I guess I can be the bad guy in your blog if you need one. I know who I am.

Anonymous said...

So....Wanna go for a drink tonight?!

tehehehehe.....

House of Dave said...

Of course you can do it. I just pity the bartender on Feb. 1.

Anonymous said...

hey i thought you werent going to be lame like me....but you havent put up a new post. get with the program...

House of Suz said...

HEY YOU! I didn't know you had a blog too! I thought I was the only cool person I knew. Once again I am wrong.

You guys can check me out. i'm kinda new (started the end of November) and I post fairly regularly. And I spell bad.

House of Suz said...

Oh, yeah, I'm kinda funny too, but only kinda.

House of Suz said...

Oh, by the way, that is SUCH a Shawna face in that photo.