Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Sound of Music

So I am a member of BMG. It's just like Columbia House, where you get a bunch of CD's for free, then have to buy a few in a year, blah, blah, blah. I love it, I really do. I have my favorite CD's that I listen to over and over again, but lately, I had become bored with them. I also am still working on a CD collection, as I had built up quite a nice one, but in the first break in of my car, they stole everything IN the car, and I pretty much had all the good stuff in my car. The second break in, they took more, by the third I had wised up, and only had a couple of CD's in the car (I think). Anyway, my CD collection was bleak, don't think I had ordered any new music in well over a year, so a few weeks ago, in my bored "I'm not drinking this month" state, I went internet shopping, and purchased quite a few CD's. Only 2 actual new releases, Fiona Apple's latest and Coldplay's latest. Everything else is old, but here's a bit of what Shawna's taste in music is:

1. Coldplay - X&Y (listening to it as I type this blog)
2. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
3. Coldplay - Parachutes
***yeah, had no Coldplay, I tend to buy EVERY album an artist does if I really dig them.Plus I am REALLY into their stuff right now after catching a repeat of VH1's version of MTV's Unplugged, except they aren't unplugged....anyway.....
4. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
***have her two previous, her 2nd is actually her best in my opinion, I still listen to it quite frequently
5. Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
6. Jack Johnson - On and On
***I've seen Jack in concert twice now (Austin City Limit's Music Fest) and his albums are PURE, he sounds the same live, he is a rare, raw, natural talent. God bless Jack Johnson! It also doesn't hurt that he's a totally hot surfer dude.
7. Justin Timberlake - Justified
8. Wilco - A.M.
***at one time, had every album from Wilco, slowly gaining them all back, there's quite a few. A.M. is probably my favorite, I've quite missed it. Have Summerteeth too, very different, this is when they jumped genres and went a little more keyboardy-eclectic-acid rock-funky-pop on us. But I like it. I met him at ACL year 3, he was staying in our hotel, he's SUPER short.
9. Garden State Soundtrack
***loved the music track in this movie, it definitely lended to the whole vibe of the movie, just a brilliant mix of songs.
10. Jason Mraz - Inbetween Dreams
11. Jason Mraz - Waiting For My Rocket to Come
***first album is really kinda funkadelic, hard to explain, most of it is nothing like the stuff on the radio, it's almost hip-hop rappish, it's interesting, trust me.
12. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
13. Uncle Tupelo -No Depression
***from Uncle Tupelo spawned Wilco and Son Volt, two awesome bands on their own. Too bad the bitches couldn't get along, otherwise a "super band" might have been formed. No one will ever know....god damned bitches...

That's a bunch of music eh? As you can see, I am going with the whole,"if I like their first album, I'll probably like their next".
And YES, for those of you who FREAKED on #7, I purposely left it out, knowing there would be some oh my god's coming from you, I LOVE me some Justin. I love me some N'Sync, can't believe they aren't in my collection (and no, they aren't) but I'm sure will be some day. If you know me really well, you know I have this problem/love with ultra pop music, I just love it, I can't help it. I know they are talentless fucks, but someone out there wrote and composed the music, and sometimes I'm in the mood for it, sue me!
So that's it for my musical review, hope you enjoyed. See, now we can have stuff to talk about at the bar!

No comments: