Thursday, March 08, 2007

Spring is in the air.....

Sorry it's been a while. Just really didn't have much to say. Hell, quite frankly I'm worried about posting anything here, the blogger natzi's have seemed to come out of the woodwork and started posting really random, rude, stupid stuff. Where do these people come from anyway??
So glad I have decided to moderate my comments. People are weird and scary out here...

So life is good. I really don't have anything to complain about. Yes, there are things I need to do, but I feel I'm truly on the path to get them done.

1. Get my ass back in the gym - starting on Monday 3/12, FOR REAL
2. Quit smoking - stop date has been picked, May 1st, it's my dad's b-day, thought he'd like that
3. Get some much needed home improvement stuff done at the house, most in need is the main bathroom, I need to paint it and stain the existing cabinets and install new sink hardware.

Those are some pretty big things that I'm truly serious about. I went to the doctor yesterday to get my meds refilled and just a check up on how I've been since I got on the Zoloft and Xanax.

I got weighed...yeah, I'm as big as I was the last time it freaked me the fuck out and I got my ass in the gym 5 days a week, about 2 hours at a time. I'm not going to be that psycho this time however, I did it for 5 months before, lost about 35 pounds, but alas, I think I just burned myself out and stopped going. Going to start with 3 days a week, for about an hour of cardio. I'll get into the weights after I drop some of this poundage (and no, you do not get to know how much I weigh) by doing the cardio first.

Smoking - well, I found out back in September that I have reached Chronic Bronchitis stage, which is the next steps to emphysema and possibly COPD. It really scared the shit out of me. My smoking is definitely a problem, not that I already didn't know that, but I hadn't had to deal w/the issues associated with it yet, so of course I ignored the obvious warning signs, blah, blah, blah. I got a prescription for Chantix which 2 ex-coworkers, who smoked as much as I do tried, and both are smoke free. This is a new drug, that works very different from every other stop-smoking method, so I really have some hope here. I also think that the Zoloft and Xanax will most definitely help with the anxiety that comes along with not smoking. So I decided that May 1st was a great date, as it's my father's birthday and it will make him happy!

Home Improvement - I've lived in my house for almost a year already, and have not really done all the things I thought I'd do right away. My biggest feat is the main bathroom. Georgie (my lovely, but crazy pooch) ripped paint off the wall in there 2 days after I moved in by chewing through the toilet line and flooded the bathroom, the pressure ripped the paint clean off the wall. The cabinetry is also hideous (to me) it's very 1982, and with a nice stain, I can make it workable, until I want to spend big bucks to put in new cabinets. I plan to tackle this in May, when I'm not smoking, as I will also have to not drink for a while, as that is a HUGE trigger for me. I have also put in a call to Home Depot to come out and give me an estimate on new windows. My windows are the original from '55 when the house was built, and they are in sad, sad shape. I can really cut down on electricity and gas if the windows weren't so shitty. Yes, I know it's going to cost me a small fortune, I had them quoted by some independents last summer, and it was anywhere from $12k-$15k, which is fine, it's worth it, but yeah, "cough, cough"!

So that's about it, just realized that about this time last year I did some major assessing, that's when I got Georgie, bought the house and all that. Apparently I go through cycles...? Who cares! I'm loving life, and all that right now. (think the meds help) But seriously, I really have noticed a big change, I don't freak out on all the little shit anymore, I REALLY don't. I really like my interior, now I just need to work on my exterior, and I'll be complete.

Don't fret anyone either, I'm doing all of this for ME, not to find a man, or anything like that, it's all about ME! I really like me, and have realized there are just a few things about me that I've been neglecting for far too long, and it's time to tackle those things. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, because no one EVER gets through them, I just wait a few months and do it then!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea pretty much I have gained 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks. It feels better to be at the weight you want. Oh, just paint the stupid cabinets.

House of Suz said...

Congrats on everything! Especially the quitting smoking (in a year it'll pay for the windows....snicker snicker). Try to get SarahBeth to join that bandwagon!

Shawna said...

Star - I know, I've been talking about those stupid cabinets for MONTHS!

I was going to paint them, then went to someone's house in Austin that had the SAME cabinets in their kitchen and they stained them and they looked bad-ass, so I'm gonna go that route.

Suz - Sarah is a quitter, non-quitter, back to quitter again. I don't know how she does it! When I quit, that's it. I know one cig and I'll be smoking a pack a day again!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a Blogger account, but I am a friend of Suz & SarahBeth's. I quit smoking on the Chantix and it was the BEST thing I ever did. You will be amazed at how little anxiety you have and I was also able to go out to a smoky bar and get loaded within 8 days of quitting. Not to be anonymous - this is Kristie in Portland. Sarahbeth & Suz know me well (and we've even met!) :-) Good luck!

Shawna said...

Hey Kristie, didn't realize anyone but a few people read my blog! I welcome comments and that also makes me feel WAY better too! I remember you! Didn't we travel to your car in a parked garage to "smoke" something illegal? hehehe

Anonymous said...

Kristie again - yep that was me. You can always count on an invite to the car after a long work day...heh heh. Blogs are a small world. I found yours off of Suz's and I think the first entry I read was about your adventures with Sarahbeth over the holidays...heh heh. Drunk stories are always good stories!

Anonymous said...

FWIW :)

This coming April 17th will be my 1-year anniversary since I quit a 15-cig/day (Marlboro Lights) habit.

First few weeks I used the patch, but nicotine replacement therapy is not a good idea (see http://www.whyquit.com for details). Cold-turkey is the only way, and I think the key for me was simply getting a certain number of days under my belt so that I had that much time invested in the process. Might sound odd, but I do still enjoy watching others smoke...I can almost feel like I'm in their shoes, except without the expense, and the health consequences.

Oh yeah, and I bought a bicycle, and commute to work by bike (8-miles one way)...there's no way I could smoke and ride my bike to work everyday. So, perhaps a dose of replacement therapy might help too.

HTH!