Thursday, September 20, 2007

Jena 6 - Are you kidding me?

I'm very bad at keeping up with the news, always have been, probably always will be. Every time I actually watch the news, it's just depressing. In light of this, I had no idea of the "Jena 6" thing that is happening in Louisiana today.

I'm probably going to piss off a lot of people (god I am so good at that) but it's my blog, so I'm giving MY opinion.

This whole thing is just ridiculous. Plain and simple, 6 black kids beat the shit out of a white kid, and from what I've read today, it's not even one of the original 3 that started the "race issues" in the town.

So early September last year 3 white boys hung 3 nooses from a tree in town, apparently a tree that white kids hung out at a lot. Pretty awful and stupid, yes, absolutely. Apparently this was done the day after one of the black students made a joke publicly about the tree. Asking school officials if "anyone" was allowed to hang out at the tree. It was laughed off (not the nooses, the comment), by whites and blacks both as ridiculous, as this town did not feel it had issues with racism.

WRONG

So some other events happened, the school was torched, all kinds of "made for TV movie" drama (you know it will happen) there were some fights, usual stuff. The white kids were not punished all too well, just got suspended. OK, that doesn't seem right, that's a pretty hateful thing to do, I will completely agree with that.

BUT

6 black kids jumped a white kid in school and beat the living shit out of him. They even had other students and such blocking teachers from breaking it up. Pretty much a "hate crime" to me, don't you think? Well apparently the boys were given much more severe punishments that the white kids got. Big surprise? No, not really. What people are failing to forget though, is that some of the Jena 6 actually have prior records, some of them pretty bad. HELLO!

The press and media and of course the lovable Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson have made this a race war. Apparently thousands were in Jena today, protesting and asking that they "Free the Jena 6" with signs and shit. Please. These boys beat the crap out of the kid, like beat him unconscious on the first blow. Like kept kicking and beating on him, even though it appeared the first blow rendered him unconscious. Again I will say HELLO.

The ONLY thing I'm going to agree with on this thing is that the punishments do not fit the crimes, I will completely agree with that. But thousands flocking to protest? Really?

Has everyone forgotten about this thing happening called WAR? Why are thousands not flocking to the White House to protest the WAR. Seriously.

Google Jena 6 for full details. I'm over the whole thing, but felt I had to voice my opinion on the matter. Hate me if you will, but I read it how I read it, and I think it's a bunch of bullshit. Is there rampant racism going on in America? Fuck yes there is, and there always will be, but it's NOT just an American thing, it's a WORLD thing people. It's not just whites hating blacks, it's everyone hating everyone.

Civil Rights in the 60's was about leveling the playing field, not giving Black Americans an excuse for what "our people" did to them hundreds of years ago (yes Dave, stole this from you). I am sorry that they were enslaved, I really am, but it's over now, if racism is ever going to get better, the one's screaming about it need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

8 comments:

Gnomeself Be True said...

Sorry. Can't be a hate crime if the victims are white males. Doesn't fit.

Shawna said...

That's just the point. Why can't white's be hated on? Why is that? Isn't that treating us differently?

Unknown said...

you left out some of the story. before the black kids beat the white kid, a black kid was severely beaten at a party, and the white kids who did it got a slap on the wrists. so, the beating of the white kid was a sort of retaliation. not that it makes it ok, but doesn't it suck that 2 scenarios that are similar get different jail outcomes? The only difference was the color of the perp's skin. Coincedence? if the punishment fits the crime, then some of the white kids should have gotten lengthy sentences. Yes, they were both hate crimes, but they were prosecuted much differently.

Shawna said...

Jodi - I did a lot of reading on this yesterday/last night and didn't find anything about that. Unfortunate yes, I'm not saying what happened is ok, the punishments most definitely don't fit the crimes.

I just feel they (media and Sharpton & Jackson) are trying to make a "race war" out of nothing.

House of Suz said...

Hey! Lookie at you! You posted.

The media frinzie surronding this mess is making it hard to get all the details, if you ask me. And if I understand the story correctly the student who had "the shit beaten out of him" attended a school function 3 hours after the "attempted murder" incident, so I am wondering how serious the beating really was.

Shawna said...

Suz - i read that too, and thought it interesting, but opted to leave it out, like you said, there are too many details, it's hard to keep up with it all. Everyone's got their own "side" to it.

Ed & Jeanne said...

OMG! A post! I'd almost given up. So who is Jena and when is she turning 6? I guess I should watch or read the news more often...or not.

Anonymous said...

Gawd that's a cute pic of you S! Wait, uhh, gotta stay on topic...

I gave up understanding Southerners a long time ago...by the time Friday night HS football games roll around, most things are forgiven, right?

Still a hella cute pic though! =)